Sunday 13 November 2011

Bike Build - Dave's S-Works Stumpy HT Alloy

One of the problems with switching to a 29r is that I have a whole bunch of 26" specific parts that have accumulated over the last couple of years. Add to that a set of brakes, rear derailleur, pedals and handlebar that have been in the parts box for a while and we have a bike build. Specialized were able to hook me up with this sweet S-Works Stumpjumper HT alloy frame (17.5") for the build.



One thing I didn't have handy was a crankset or front derailleur so I decided to try setting up a 1x9 drivetrain. You can pick up these Shimano Deore Dyna-Sys cranksets for about $100 and the e-13 XCX chain guide and chain ring for about $200. I'm running a 34 tooth ring.
  This XTR rear derailleur is a few years old now but it's still the shit. A new SRAM 970 cassette (11-34) and 971 chain has it running like new. I know 10 speed is all the rage but a 9 speed XTR just can't be wasted.
I was hassling the Rock Shox sales rep for a set of these SID World Cups (100mm) 6 months before they were available in Oz. Of course SID blue was only gonna cut it. Keep loosing the pop lock but I never use fork lockouts anyway.
I've been waiting for a bike to use this 3T stem on for a while since selling my Niner earlier this year. They're light and they look good. The Crank Bros carbon handlebar is understated and light. More compliant than an alloy bar.
I finished the build off with my workhorse wheelset (Hope Pro2 hubs on Velocity XCR rims), Maxxis Ignitor/Crossmark 26x2.1 LUST tyres, Ritchey Pro seatpost, Formula RX brakes and a brand spanking new Specialized Phenom saddle. Total build weight with Crank Bros Candy 2 pedals is 10.8kg, not bad considering I set out to use as many old parts as possible. I was still able to come up with a pretty light race bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment